"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Author Interview: Peggy Clement

Peggy Clement, author of the children’s chapter book Queen of the Castle, has a new release set for late summer or early fall of this year.
Shifting Sand, published by Oak Tara, is a young adult inspirational novel. This book tells the story of a young boy's loss, his inabilty to cope, and finally, redemption through forgiveness.
Originally from Louisiana, Peggy lives in Lumberton, Texas and has also been published in anthologies and newspapers. For more information, visit Peggy’s website at www.peggyclement.com and her blog at http://theworkofhishands.wordpress.com/ or read the short interview below.

1)  How did you develop an interest in writing? - Since I was a young girl, my way of escaping was to sit down and write my thoughts on paper. It came naturally for me.
2)  Tell me a little about your blog. - I started blogging after my husband passed away. It was a way to get through the grief. To be honest, I have a difficult time now keeping it current.
3)  I see you are working on a MS - please tell me a little about it. - My new project is The Widow's 30 Day Take Along Devotionals. I am hoping to sell it as a small pocketbook size to have with you for those unexpected times when you need words of encouragement.
4)  What other styles do you write? - I generally write for children. This is my first attempt to write something for adults.
5)  Is this a hobby or do you plan to make a career from writing? I am hoping to develop my writing into a full time career by the time I retire from teaching.
6)  What music, places, people inspire you? Christian music inspires me to write only things pleasing to God.
7)  What do you do when you have writer's block? I usually start on something else or read articles on writing to motivate me to sit and type something, even if it's not great.
8)  What authors do you admire? I admire any author who touches a child's heart, helps them relate the story to their own lives, and promotes the ideas of kindness, forgiveness, and acceptance.
9)  How long did it take you to write your current MS? Shifting Sand took about two years to write.
10)     Are you part of a critique group or writer's guild? Yes, Golden Triangle Writer's Guild, Bayou Writers Group.
11)     Have you ever attended a writer's conference? Yes, several in Texas and Louisiana.
12)     When working on your current MS did you complete an outline first or did you just start writing? I just started writing. I don't write outlines.
13)     What is your writing process like? Certain hours that you find more productive, a routine, a set amount of time or a number of pages you make yourself write everyday etc.? Since I work fulltime, I write whenever I have a few minutes to spare. I wish I could have a set routine.
14)     Do you have an editor or agent? I have an editor and am kind of looking for an agent.
A mother of 2 grown daughters, Peggy has been a teacher for more than 30 years. She loves to read and write.

4 comments:

Denise Covey said...

Sylvia as always you've interviewed a very interesting author. I enjoyed learning about Peggy's writing life.

I'm about to tag you on my blog, Sylvia. Next post.

Denise<3

Unknown said...

Wonderful interview, Sylvia!

I really stopped by to say 'thank you' for your support during my A-Z blogging month. I've created a fun "no strings attached" blog award for you and all of the other awesome bloggers who offered feedback and encouragement.

You can view the award and my thank you note here:
http://the-open-vein-ejwesley.blogspot.com/2011/06/im-back-bringing-love.html

Hope you are well and that I see you around in the future!

EJ

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Nice interview. Ms. Clement may be a full time teacher, but it looks like she's on the road to becoming a full time writer!

Laurie Kolp said...

Peggy is indeed a very talented, humble writer and a caring Christian. I am truly inspired by her. Lovely post, Sylvia.

~laurie kolp