"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

Monday, March 4, 2024

IWSG: AI Use

It’s time for another group posting of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group! founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh. Time to release our fears to the world – or offer encouragement to those who are feeling neurotic. If you’d like to join us, click on the tab above and sign up. We post the first Wednesday of every month. Your words might be the encouragement someone needs. You can also join us on twitter using the hashtag #IWSG, or on the Facebook page.

Now, IWSG hosts have changed up the format in an effort to make it more fun and interactive. Every month, they will announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG Day post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

Don’t forget to visit others that day to see their answers. Want to join, or learn more? Visit our - Sign-up List.


MARCH 6 QUESTION - 
Have you "played" with AI to write those nasty synopses, or do you refuse to go that route? How do you feel about AI's impact on creative writing?

MY ANSWER - We had a similar discussion in our October posting if you'd like to look back at those. My only interaction with AI as a writer has been to address using it in the classroom. As soon as ChatGPT released more than a year ago, I saw a huge use of it by students to attempt writing assignments. We spent time actually looking at instances where you could use it, but the software was creating sadly horrible and oftentimes completely incorrectly factual writing. This helped to dissuade plagiarism in that first year. However, as AI software increase in reliability so too does it's use, not just by students but also by teachers and writers. Some only use it as a means to see examples (a learning or confidence building tool). However, I believe we may see an increase in reliance on this technology, and an outright substitution for individual authentic creation. In response, more schools and legal systems will attempt to define what is allowable and what is not (refer back to Hollywood/writers/actors strikes last year).

What about you? Have you "played" with AI to write those nasty synopses, or do you refuse to go that route? How do you feel about AI's impact on creative writing?

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

As a teacher, I'm sure it will become more difficult to tell what the student created and what AI created.

Leigh Caron said...

I use AI (Grammarly) for editing purposes. I guess my ego thinks I'm more creative than AI. However, I've been writing a synopsis and I'm curious. w

Natalie Aguirre said...

Yes, there will be a learning curve in using it. And there are tools that teachers can use to paste in text and see if it looks Al-generated. Unfortunately, some of this technology will say something is Al-generated when it's not. We had that issue at my job when we tried to use one of these tools. I think of Al as a tool, not to replace us in our writing.

Miffie Seideman said...

It is a slippery slope. And I know the technology isn't there yet, but if the programming continues to accelerate at the current rate, I suppose you are right that it will once day be a substitute from human creation. Thanks for joining the blog hop today!

Kristina Kelly said...

I wondered how the academic world was doing. It'll be interesting, and perhaps daunting, to see how good these AIs will get and if we can still distinguish the human from the AI content.

Fundy Blue said...

Perhaps we'll have to return to oral exams, like the ones my paleontology professor grilled us with 50 years ago! I'm going to keep on creating my own writing; otherwise it wouldn't be mine and I wouldn't put my name on it. Enjoy IWSG Day, Sylvia. Take care!