"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

Wednesday, August 4, 2021

IWSG: Favorite Writing Craft Books

It’s time for another group posting of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group! founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh. Time to release our fears to the world – or offer encouragement to those who are feeling neurotic. If you’d like to join us, click on the tab above and sign up. We post the first Wednesday of every month. Your words might be the encouragement someone needs. You can also join us on twitter using the hashtag #IWSG, or on the Facebook page.

Now, IWSG hosts have changed up the format in an effort to make it more fun and interactive. Every month, they will announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG Day post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

Don’t forget to visit others that day to see their answers. Want to join, or learn more? Visit our - 
Sign-up List.


AUGUST QUESTION - 
What is your favorite writing craft book? Think of a book that every time you read it you learn something or you are inspired to write or try the new technique. And why?

MY ANSWER - There are about a dozen of these that I frequently revisit. Many of these I am certain you have heard of from most other writers. However, I will share two I feel are well worth your time and not as frequently touted as a "MUST READ."  First, is Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert and second is This Year You Write Your Novel by Walter Mosley. Both of these offer beautiful and inspiring glimpses into following your creativity regardless of fear and doubt. I wish I heard more people mention these two alongside such classics as:

On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft  By Stephen King
The Hero With A Thousand Faces  By Joseph Campbell
The Writers Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers  By Christopher Vogler
The Associated Press Stylebook  By Associated Press
Writing 21st Century Fiction By Donald Maass
Bird by Bird  By Anne Lamott
Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within  By Natalie Goldberg

How about you? What is your favorite writing craft book?

5 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Christopher Volger's book has been recommended by others too. I'll have to check it out.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Those are both new books to me - thanks.

Chrys Fey said...

Big Magic is an excellent book. I've read it twice. We read it last year for the book club. I don't know it, but I want a hard copy of it so I can read it again and again.

Fundy Blue said...

Thanks for your recommendations, Sylvia! Happy writing in August!

Steven Arellano Rose Jr. said...

My favourite: Stephen King's "On Writing", and I explain why on my IWSG post. You sound like you have a good full list of writing books, including the one you recommend. Thanks!