"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

Wednesday, March 3, 2021

IWSG: Genre Choices

It’s time for another group posting of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group! founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh. Time to release our fears to the world – or offer encouragement to those who are feeling neurotic. If you’d like to join us, click on the tab above and sign up. We post the first Wednesday of every month. Your words might be the encouragement someone needs. You can also join us on twitter using the hashtag #IWSG, or on the Facebook page.

Now, IWSG hosts have changed up the format in an effort to make it more fun and interactive. Every month, they will announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG Day post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

Don’t forget to visit others that day to see their answers. Want to join, or learn more? Visit our - Sign-up List.


MARCH QUESTION - 
Everyone has a favorite genre or genres to write. But what about your reading preferences? Do you read widely or only within the genre(s) you create stories for? What motivates your reading choice?

MY ANSWER - I read in the same way I write - by mood. This means it's not unusual for me to read a romance, biography, true crime, cozy mystery, scifi, or fantasy, etc. I usually have more than one book going at a time. It's not even unusual for me to read in multiple genres at a time. Example, I might be reading a biography in the morning (while I'm waiting for my kids to finish getting ready for school), a scifi during the day (if I take a lunch break), and a romance at night (before I fall asleep). I keep books in my car, at my desk, and on my nightstand. Sometimes, if I'm extremely drawn into one particular story, I will abandon all other books until I've finished the tale absorbing my mind - regardless of the genre. I'm also motivated by mood. I like new takes on a genre, tried and true tropes, and interesting characters for which I feel a connection.

How about you? Do you have a favorite genre to read? Is it the same one you prefer to write?

7 comments:

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi, sometimes even I read more than 2 books at one time, eventually focussing on the one I find more engrossing!

lostinimaginaryworlds.blogspot.com said...

Yes, I try to faithfully finish every book, but somehow life get’s in the way. Must do better!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You are a multi-tasking reader!

Bish Denham said...

I'm a slow reader, and I usually have only one book going at a time. However, I do keep on in my car to read on the sly. And I read just about any genre, except horror.

Sarah Foster said...

Wow--reading multiple books at a time! I don't think I have the attention span for that, lol.

Diane Burton said...

According to Goodreads, I'm currently reading over 30 books. LOL Some were accidentally opened (I read on my iPad), others were started but something else caught my eye and I switched. Have a great month.

Sarah Taylor said...

I'm a slow reader, I envy your multi tasking skills!