"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

Wednesday, June 3, 2020

IWSG: A Writers Secret


It’s time for another group posting of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group! founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh. Time to release our fears to the world – or offer encouragement to those who are feeling neurotic. If you’d like to join us, click on the tab above and sign up. We post the first Wednesday of every month. Your words might be the encouragement someone needs. You can also join us on twitter using the hashtag #IWSG, or on the Facebook page.

Now, IWSG hosts have changed up the format in an effort to make it more fun and interactive.Every month, they will announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG Day post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

Don’t forget to visit others that day to see their answers. Want to join, or learn more? Visit our - Sign-up List.



JUNE QUESTION Writers have secrets! What are one or two of yours, something readers would never know from your work?

MY ANSWER: I LOVE to read and write romance - voraciously. Why might this be considered a secret? The truth is, while I have written A LOT more romance than any other genre, I haven't attempted to publish most of it. I'm not sure why - perhaps academic stigma? Most of what I have published has been nonfiction, science fiction, horror, etc. - you know - serious genres. I think somewhere along the way, I've subconsciously picked up the idea that to be taken seriously as a professor, teacher, etc. I must steer clear of "cheap, tawdry, smut". I still can't figure out how Romance causes this negative backlash. Ok, so there is the erotic genre, but I'm talking about sweet, or soft core, romance - nothing centered on on what happens (or should happen) behind closed doors. Most of the romances I've written I'm completely comfortable sharing with my mom and daughters, but not the rest of the world.

Why do you think romance has this stigma? Do you think it's a legitimate concern? Do you have any secrets?

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've no idea. It's still writing a good story. But sometimes science fiction get that rap as well. If you enjoy writing it, don't stop.

Chrys Fey said...

Romance should be taken more seriously. It's not easy to write. Romance books/writers hold up most of the industry, and romance writers usually are the most creative with marketing. I'd love to read your romance books!

Liza said...

I'm with Alex. If it is a good story, write it, and don't be afraid to share it. I'm all in for a good "lite" romance. Why not? We all need something to make us feel good sometimes.

Anne Higa said...

I love romance! I think you should write what you like. But it's up to you what you publish. Agreed about non-steamy romance being the best. Have a great day.

Anne from annehiga.com

Laurel Elizabeth Hasara said...

I sincerely didn't realize romance had such a bad reputation of "tawdry and smut" - lol!
Repressing what you desire into the subconscious never works so, good for you :)
True love is gentle.
What makes a writing earn the "serious" stamp of approval is the way it's written, the quality. It's not the genre... in my eyes.

Xo,
Laurel

rina singh said...

satta king
play bazaar play now this games

rina singh said...

superhit hindi movies
akshay kumar upcoming movies
Shahrukh Khan Upcoming Movies
Salman Khan Upcoming Movies
bollywood movies 2021
Box Office Collection
upcoming movies
latest bollywood movies