"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

IWSG: Learning Language Has Power

It’s time for another group posting of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group! founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh. Time to release our fears to the world – or offer encouragement to those who are feeling neurotic. If you’d like to join us, click on the tab above and sign up. We post the first Wednesday of every month. Your words might be the encouragement someone needs. You can also join us on twitter using the hashtag #IWSG, or on the Facebook page.

Now, IWSG hosts have changed up the format in an effort to make it more fun and interactive.Every month, they will announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG Day post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 


Don’t forget to visit others that day to see their answers. Want to join, or learn more? Visit our - Sign-up List.

MAY QUESTION: What was an early experience where you learned that language had power?

MY ANSWER: I think on some level, I always knew. However, my most conscious recognition would have been in elementary school. I was an extremely shy girl. We moved a lot, family situations kept changing, and I felt an overwhelming sense of confusion and even worthlessness at times as a result. Music helped a lot. I can remember not just feeling and connecting to the songs on the radio, but to receiving cassette tapes (yes, I'm that old) and studying the lyrics included. I can remember connecting with individual artists after realizing they could give voice through their words to what I was feeling and experiencing. Some of my earliest writing includes poetry and short stories that I attempted after studying lyrical style.

Don't forget, the IWSG anthology contest begins today. This year the genre is – Middle Grade Historical – adventure or fantasy. To learn more about the theme , check out: http://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com/

Previous IWSG anthologies can be found: http://iwsganthologies.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Great answer! Music has always been a part of my life and know the words to songs could connect to my emotions was a key moment.

Sadira Stone said...

What are song lyrics but poetry set to music? Back when I taught high school English, my students were always surprised when I told them (for an assignment to present a few favorite poems to the class) that they could use song lyrics as long as they could discuss the writer's technique. Happy writing in May!

Chrys Fey said...

I used to write song lyrics all the time. When I was little I wrote poetry. Then I graduated to lyrics, and now, I feel that I can't write poetry. They always turn out as songs. Music has always struck me, so I love dissecting song lyrics. :)

Adrienne Reiter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adrienne Reiter said...

I deleted my comment due to my OCD regarding typos. Ugh. Yes. Music. I play guitar fairly well and play piano (not so good). I compose music and write songs in between the projects I'm feeling insecure dread of. Chrys wrote an fantastic post about hobbies helping writers avoid burnout. Awesome answer. Happy IWSG!