"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

Monday, December 1, 2014

NaWriMo Wrap-Up: The Memoir Project

Thank you to everyone who participated in my NaWriMo challenge! Those of you following my own journey this month know that I started strong, but didn't finish due to illnesses. I didn't even try to add anything this weekend. My youngest was finally well enough for some activity, so we unpacked our Christmas decorations, spent time with church and family, and went out to eat. It was a great weekend after the virus scare a week ago.

While I haven't added a lot to my word count in the last ten days, I have still been thinking about the story. I've let it gestate in the back of my mind. I haven't done ANY editing, but I have thought a lot about the direction I want to take the story now.

I also spent some time reading The Memoir Project: A Thoroughly Non-Standardized Text For Writing & Life by Marion Roach Smith. This is a short book (about 112 pages) that I received as a door prize at a writer's conference earlier in the month. I enjoyed this quick read. Smith's take on writing in refreshingly honest and open. In this text she decries writing exercises, claiming only purpose-filled writing is a useful way to spend your time. I found her analysis and examples extremely insightful, and I hope you'll consider taking a look if you plan to write ANY type of nonfiction.

Later this week I will be announcing the winners of my challenge. Random.org will pick a few winners from the commenters, and they can email me their selections.

How did your project turn out? Read any good books lately?

No comments: