"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

Friday, October 28, 2011

Tips for New and Seasoned Writers

Authors frequently receive requests for tips from both new and seasoned writers. Below is a list of my responses.
1.      Read and write every day! Read your favorite genres, read books on the craft and read blogs of other authors.  (See the “For Writers” tab at the top.  This page has a list of tips, references, exercises, websites and books I recommend to aspiring as well as seasoned authors. Please also feel free to contact me.)
2.      If you visit www.fundsforwriters.com you can register for a FREE Writing newsletter that will come every week. This newsletter is full of advice, tips and writing opportunities by and for writers.
3.      Check with your local library and bookstores to ask about writing programs. They will also be able to tell you if there are any local Writer's Groups/Guilds or classes.
4.      Writer's Digest is a WONDERFUL place to find information. If you’re not ready for a subscription to the magazine itself, their website and blog offer a lot of free information: http://www.writersdigest.com/
5.      There is a multitude of information and contradictory advice out there. Weed through and find what works for you. Our minds don’t work the same and we all have different interests and strengths. Be willing to learn and find your own process for success. If you really are a writer, you will write! Nothing can stop you.

 What about my fellow writers? Are there any tips, blogs or books you would like to recommend?
P.S. Another question authors frequently receive is “What are you reading?” Feel free to find me on Goodreads to see what my friends and I are reading.

10 comments:

Southpaw said...

Thanks for the tips. I'm always on the look out for more sound advice.

Lorelei Bell said...

Good advise, Sylvia. I know how hard it is to be just starting out as a writer and wondering where to turn. Even the magazines seem to contradict themselves. What you need to do IS read in your genre, but also other genres, so that you have an understanding of them.

I can't outline, but am a "panster". I think it's a lot more fun that way. But I do have an idea of where I want to go once the story takes hold.

Thanks for an informative post!

Jenny Milchman said...

Never give up.

Susan Kane said...

I like to have a road map, whether I am driving or writing. I need to have an idea where I am going. The characters decide how I get there.

Denise Covey said...

Hi Sylvia! These are great tips. I LOVE Writer's Digest and find so much there, both online and in their print magazine. I also currently recomment INSECURE WRITERS GROUP which posts the first Wednesday of every month for great tips/questions from other writers.

Denise

Bethe77 said...

Great tips and information.
Thank you
Blessings

Dr. Niamh Clune said...

Always helpful to hear from other writers to feel the support and realise we are not alone.

Tasha Seegmiller said...

Having a critique group has completely changed my writing because one, I have mini due dates and two, there are things I think readers should know that they just don't know that I can fix before someone reads the full text.

Great post - talk about a good time to find your site.

The Sisterhood said...

Keep a schedule. Don't just be random in when you set aside time to write (although I think we've all been guilty of this a time or two in our careers). Good tips!

♥ Mary Mary

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sylvia .. great tips and ideas - thanks .. love reading these and having them as reminders.

Also the Goodreads function .. where we can see what others read ..

Thanks - Hilary