"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

Monday, October 24, 2011

Author Interview: Stephanie Campbell

Stephanie Campbell is a writer from Utah. Some of her previously published works include the short stories “The Devil’s Chariot” and “Gerard.” She is the author of the novel UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN; and her poems “Child Abuse,” “Mirror, Mirror,” and “The Flame before the Wick” have all won awards.
She now has five books coming out from several different traditional publishers. To learn more about this talented young lady, you may read her interview below or visit her personal blog: http://stephaniecampbellsblog.blogspot.com/ and her writers SOS blog: http://writersos.blogspot.com/

1)    How did you develop an interest in writing? I actually started by writing fan fiction when I was in sixth grade. I was absolutely horrible at first. Bless my reviewers then for making me feel worthwhile. When I looked back at what I did then, I cringe. Not that I didn’t get a nasty review or two; (Probably the only honest reviews there.) After that, I wrote an essay that my sister, an avid reader, looked over. She looked at me and said, “You should write a book.” So I did. At the age of seventeen, I published my first book. Now, I’m twenty and have found my career for life.
2) I see you are working on a MS. Can you please tell me a little about it? I’m always working on a manuscript. In fact, right now I’m working on five. I’m trying to advertise Poacher and manage the publicity, work on Dragon Night (November 18th) with my editors at Musa, edit two manuscripts, write one, and try to find a literary agent for another. That’s just on this pen name. In short, I…I…*Drops dead.*
3) What other styles/genres do you write? I did write articles, but I have trouble with something that doesn’t involve my overactive imagination. I love poetry, and I get the occasional poem published. The problem is getting an entire poetry book published is about as easy as eating a boulder.
4) Is this a hobby or do you plan to make a career from writing? I want to write for the rest of my life. This is definitely my lifetime job. I hope that this year will be the turning point of my career.
5) What authors do you admire? J.K. Rowling for making an entire generation of kids love books again, Eoin Colfer for developing one of the most complex and funny protagonists in his Artemis Fowl series, and Janet Evanovich for making me laugh on bad days.
6) What music, places, people inspire you? It really depends on what mood I’m in. There are days when rock music tickles me, and then the next day I’m listening to Phantom of the Opera. I love nature and historical places the best. I think: What really happened? Is it really as they say? What if we were wrong? That kind of thing makes me feel great inside. Those questions are the beginnings of a great novel. I am touched by people that are strong in the face of adversity. I write about them the most. 
7) What do you do when you have writer's block? I think you’ve got to just “force it out.” Most days I know where I’m going, but if I don’t have an idea and feel really creativity dry, I’ll sit down at my computer anyway. Something always comes out.
8) How long did it take you to write your current MS? Not long! Editing takes me the longest. It’s three months of writing and six months of “cleaning” to make a manuscript.
9) Are you part of a critique group or writer's guild? No, I use my sister. *Light laugh.* Honestly, one of the reasons why I’m a writer is because I like to do the work itself on my own. I can stand in front of a crowd and talk, I can sign books and shoot the breeze all day, but I like to be on my own when it comes to the main event.
10) When working on your current MS did you complete an outline first or did you just start writing? Outline! Outline! Outline! Yeah, I really like outlines.
11) What is your writing process like? Certain hours that you find more productive, a routine, a set amount of time or a number of pages you make yourself write every day? I write all day. I do my best to edit for at least two hours and write for at least one. My friends call me a workaholic.
12) Do you have an editor or agent? I have many editors. Craig Schenning is my editor for Poachers and he is fantastic. I love all of my editors. I don’t care if you’re Rowling or Patterson, a good editor is a jewel. I’m currently on the lookout for a great agent, which basically means that I’m tossing out query letters like nothing else.
13) Would you care to share your opening paragraph (hook) with us? I actually started Poachers with dialogue. Writers aren't supposed to do that, but it worked out for me. Go rebellion.
 "There is something wrong with him," his mother said softly from beyond his door.

2 comments:

Sarah Allen said...

Fabulous, fabulous interview! Thanks Setphanie :) That hook is awesome, and I'm from Utah as well!

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Unknown said...

Some interesting comments, especially agree with the one about writer's block!