"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Writer's Dream Schedule

Writers often discuss their daily schedule. I must confess I am a bit envious since I don’t have one. Maybe I would not enjoy writing as much if I had more time to commit to it. Although, maybe I would take it more seriously and thus find even greater enjoyment in the craft. Hmm… a daily routine. What might that look like?
Well, I would want to leave time for my family. This is easy now as I am a stay at home mom of two girls not yet old enough for school. However, this will change one day. I would also need to leave an amount of time for social networking such as email, facebook, twitter, blogs etc. every day. Obviously, I want time for writing and if I’m smart and any good, I’ll need time for marketing.
That schedule might look something like this:

6:00 – 6:30   Prayer and Exercise
6:30 – 7:30   Get the girls ready and to school
7:30 – 8:30   Check email, blog, facebook, twitter
8:30 – 11:30  Writing, Revisions, Critiques
11:30 – 12:30 Lunch with friends or family
12:30 – 1:00  Check email, blog, facebook, twitter
1:00 – 3:00   Writing, Revisions, Critiques
3:00 – 8:00   Pick up girls from school, take them to ballet, baseball etc., supervise homework, prepare dinner, play
8:00 – 8:30   Get girls ready for bed
8:30 – 9:00   Check email, blog, facebook, twitter
9:00 – 10:00  Read

Of course this is only a loose idea of what my schedule could be like. Notice I have not factored in any time for marketing (or chores ;-). I suppose that would come from some of the writing or checking social media time.
What is your workday or dream workday like?

12 comments:

KarenG said...

I keep trying to set up a scheduled routine like this. But then I end up just making a to do list, and it works for me.

Rob-bear said...

I don't have a plan, so I am considering yours.
Actually, I couldn't do yours. I'm not usually up earlier than 8:00 am. And I don't have kids to care for, unless the grandchildren are here.
Besides, I'm retied.
Other than that, yours looks very interesting.

Arlee Bird said...

Gosh, I've been wanting to make a schedule like this. I guess I do have a sort of an informal daily schedule, but I know I waste a lot of time and should organize it better. Your schedule looks pretty nicely planned. Good luck with it.


Lee
Tossing It Out

mooderino said...

I try to work to a schedule, but I find time I puit aside for online stuff slowly expands to take over a whole afternoon, or time I set aside for editing. Hard to be disciplined when the whole world is behind that screen.

mood

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

Anything with lots of writing is a good one for me. :-)

Shellie said...

Oh I think a dream workday would have me writing away most of it with a maid to do the cooking, cleaning, and shopping. Maybe even a private tutor for the kid. I would love to get to the point where I can walk into a room and put a sign on the door, "Writer at Work."

Mary Aalgaard said...

Chores, schmores! I'm ignoring most of mine today. A rough idea of an ideal schedule is good. I tend to do most of the things on my mental list, if I have one. Otherwise, the day can twiddle away.

Sylvia Ney said...

Shellie - when your maid is done at your house send her on over to mine! ;-)

Better is Possible said...

Nice schedule! I tend to be a bit of a scheduleaholic, but being on summer vacation I'm trying not to plan anything. I do feel a bit lost and am looking forward to visits from my grandchildren starting today and lasting for about three weeks to bring some structure back to these lazy days of summer.

shelly said...

I work five days a week. I make sure on those days I schedule two hours of writing time in, 30 minutes to check e-mails and Facebook, read 10 blogs and comment. Somewhere in there I walk the dogs,make dinner and clean the kitchen, and read a novel.

On my off days I clean downstairs on one of them and clean the upstairs on the next, I schedule in two hours of writing in the mornings and two hours after dinner. An hour of e-mail and Facbook checks morning, noon, and evening along with blog readings or posting a blog.

Lorelei said...

I'm like Shelly, and work 5 days a week. I actually clean after dinner, some times. You know? Just do a little here and there--so I don't have to do all of it at once.
Weekeneds are for catching up on things I need to do, and then write in a whole block of time--3-4 hours, if I can. My husband does laundry, and sometimes cooks, and he is very supportive.

If I were to attempt to even make a schedule--I'd either loose it, or I wouldn't even follow it. So, I'm a fly by my pants when it comes to life. As I do with my books. But I've been doing it a while, so I'm doing something right, I guess.

Tonja said...

My toddler goes to a little morning school three mornings a week. I write for those three hours. If there's any time left, I sneak in some facebook time and read and comment on other people's blogs. With only 9 hours that are guaranteed to be mine, I write. The rest of my day is random chaos.