"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

Monday, July 18, 2011

12 Songs for Writers

Music often sparks creative genius in authors; just as writers have become inspiration for song lyrics. Whether you suffer from writer’s block, tacky grammar or are enjoying your word play, below is a list of 12 songs about the process of creation.

1. “The Book of My Life” - Sting
2. “Paperback Writer” – The Beatles
3. “I Love You Period” – Dan Baird
4. “I’ll be a Writer” - Soltero
5. “Losing It” - RUSH
6. “Writer’s Block – Just Jack
7. “There She Goes, My Beautiful World” – Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
8. “Oxford Comma” – Vampire Weekend
9. “Mr. Writer” – Stereophonics
10. “Screenwriter’s Blues”- Soul Coughing
11. “Every Day I Write the Book” – Elvis Costello
12. “Autobiography” – Sloan

These melodic musings can be found on Youtube. Can you think of any other songs about writing?

9 comments:

Sarah McCabe said...

"It's a Beautiful Life" by Don McLean. Technically it's about songwriting, but I find it describes very familiar feelings. :)

Jen said...

Great songs!

I also like "We Call Upon The Author" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sylvia .. good list - being hopeless with these sorts of memory banks .. I'll pass .. but there certainly is creativity to be found in lyrics and songs ...

Cheers - Hilary

shelly said...

I love Paperback Writer!

Unknown said...

I always love music,
it soothes one's mood.

what thoughtful post.

Rob-bear said...

Better is Possible beat me to the line on that one, the one which Bruce Johnston wrote and Barry Manilow popularized.
Maybe Canadians just think alike.

Pearson Report said...

Great list!

I am always creating a tune out of writing thoughts - and lately have taken to carrying my micro cassette recorder with me - it's surprising where my inspiration comes from.

Smiles, Jenny

Randi said...

One of my favorites is "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield:

"I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined
I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find..."

Those words always inspire me and I consider it my writer's anthem.
I love the way it ends:

"Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten"

Amalie Berlin said...

I'm late to the party, but I had to fangrrl squeal for Nick Cave! Fab song, fab group. Fab list! :)