"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

Friday, February 4, 2011

Joyce Carol Oates - On Writing Characters

I often hear writers argue whether plot or characters are more important in writing a book. I believe they are equally valuable.  I'm currently working on a story and while I have a basic plot, I have yet to decide EXACTLY who my characters are going to become. I came across this six minute video by Joyce Carol Oates and thought I would share. I hope you all have a great weekend - Happy Writing!


1 comment:

Denise Covey said...

Hello Sylvia. I can't believe it's so long since I stopped by. Hmm. Must have been busy! I've read a whole pile of your past posts and you have some really interesting information. I've often thought of doing something specifically related to writing at uni, but so far haven't. Your space story call looks good too but I forgot to check the due date before I hit comment here so I'll go back.

Thanks for the Joyce Carol Oates vid. I'd never seen one of hers before. She can certainly teach us something about writing but she is usually so very dark. I think writing characters is crucial, but so is plot, setting etc. Got to have them all!

Gosh, this is turning into a book!

Congrats on the contract. You're doing well! Hope it comes to fruition!

Denise:)

Publication Party!