"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

February IWSG

It’s time for another group posting of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group! Time to release our fears to the world – or offer encouragement to those who are feeling neurotic. If you’d like to join us, click on the tab above and sign up. We post the first Wednesday of every month. Your words might be the encouragement someone needs.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. My household has been enjoying bouts of strep throat, ear infections, croup, and so forth. In light of that, I'm having trouble concentrating or getting much writing done lately. So instead, I've been reviewing some of my favorite "go to" books for writers:

On Writing by Stephen King
The AP Styleboook (for reference)
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
On Writing Well by William Zinsser
Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within     By Natalie Goldberg
The Hero With A Thousand Faces                                By Joseph Campbell
The Writers Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers       By Christopher Vogler

I was just given a copy of The Writing Life, by Annie Dillard, but I haven't started reading it yet.

What are some of your favorite books on the craft?

6 comments:

Fundy Blue said...

Hi Sylvia! I'm reading "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamont right now. What a funny and encouraging book it is! "Writing Down the Bones" by Natalie Goldberg is another favorite. I'm sorry to hear that your household is dealing with lots of icky bugs! You'll get back to your writing when everyone is on their feet again. I'm hoping you haven't caught the crud too with all your care taking!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I've read (and enjoyed) Stephen King's book and Anne Lamont's book. Also Writing Down the Bones. Recently I read a wonderful writing book by David Corbett: The Art of Character.

Hope all the germs have run their course and your family is well again.

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

I think you hit my favorites, and then some. Though if you don't mind some naughty language, I find The Kickass Writer by Chuck Wendig truly inspiring :D

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry your household has been sick.
My favorite is Save the Cat.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I love your "positive" take on being sick :D I have FAR too many books on writing, but after reading your list, I might need a few more. One of my favorites is Make A Scene by Jordan Rosenfeld. I love Save the Cat, too!

Sylvia Ney said...

Thanks all! We are finally doing a little better and trying to find our routine again. I haven't read David Corbett: The Art of Character, The Kickass Writer by Chuck Wendig, Save the Cat, or Make A Scene by Jordan Rosenfeld. I'll have to check those out. Thanks for the well wishes, and suggestions!