"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

Friday, August 16, 2013

Craft Timing Tip

Writers often complain about the amount of time (or lack of) to dedicate to their craft. Try this three part recipe of timing a friend sent me:


I can honestly say I have not even come close to this schedule lately. I've been enjoying a summer of fun with my girls and what time I have dedicated to the craft has mostly been for the two writing groups to which I belong. Planning workshops and conferences can be exhausting, but rewarding! When school resumes I'll be redirecting my priorities, but for now I'm enjoying family time.

How dedicated have you been? What factors affect your craft and how do steal time for your commitment?

6 comments:

Simply Sarah said...

I love this! I think I'm pretty dedicated to the craft but my problem is that I have trouble balancing my reading, social media and writing. I don't always get more then one of them done in the course of a day. I like the idea of breaking it down.

Aimée Jodoin said...

If I could equate my writing schedule into a ratio akin to an hour, I would say I have about 5 minutes for "interaction," 10 minutes for writing, and 45 minutes for reading. Hmm... seems like something's a bit off... But anyway, I spend more than one hour each day doing these things, since I've pretty devoted my life to it. So hopefully that makes up for my strange ratio.

Unknown said...

Summertime + kids = 0 writing time unless you're a night owl who needs little sleep. I've been pretty conscientious this summer because, unfortunately, I didn't have much access to the grandbabies.

Unknown said...

I've been trying to not even get into the internet until I've written a couple of hours, but I'm so bad about sticking to that resolve! It eats so much of my time.

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

I've been pretty off my writing, between vacation time on the road and then getting the final details ready to release my book this week (things like formatting the Smashwords edition). Now that my boys are back in school, and the book is out, I am going to get back to writing/editing. It will take some planning and scheduling. And maybe turning off the internet :D

Murees Dupè said...

Well, you are very busy, so it explains why you have not stuck to the schedule. But don't feel bad, maybe another schedule will be better suited to your needs. I just write whenever I have time, which seems to differ from day to day.